Mayflower: the Frame

| October 11, 2011

As promised last week, cats notwithstanding, I have here a few details of the Mamoli Mayflower project to date. Construction of the hull began with me having to shoo away one or another of the cats (usually Kismet, the stinker) while I prepared the 5mm plywood keel and bulkheads for assembly. The keel was rather […]

The Perils of Cat Ownership, as Specifically Related to the Pursuit of a Hobby

| October 3, 2011

I started, several months ago, on the construction of the Mayflower. Shortly after beginning, I was rudely interrupted by a tax audit, for which I had to clear off the work table. Once the audit was complete and the table set up again, I realized I was having rather a lot of difficulty seeing what […]

Ye Mayflower, Parte the First

| March 31, 2011

The next project I’ll be working on here is the Mamoli kit of the Mayflower. The completed model will be about 20″ long and 16″ tall. Those who recall the challenge I had on my previous project might well imagine the rapidity with which I have decided to do entirely without the sails. The flags, […]

I tried. I really tried…

| March 22, 2011

… But after many months and many attempts to make passable sails (I got so far as needing to order an extra supply of sail fabric) (which didn’t do me any good) I’ve finally given up. Thrown in the towel. Raised the white flag. By way of compromise, I opted to make furled sails. At […]

Little Things Mean A Lot

| May 3, 2010

It’s been almost a month since I last posted on the subject — a month full of fiddling small details. When last I wrote, the hull shell was complete; interior and exterior fittings had yet to be done. It might have looked sort of like a boat, squinting, from a distance, but without the little […]

Hull (-abaloo)

| April 7, 2010

After getting the initial framing and the planking done, and the shell of the hull removed from the construction jig, the next steps involve fitting out the hull interior. The frames completed so far are not all the frames needed — just enough to hold the hull together for the remaining framing. More frames were […]

(Walking the) Planks

| March 29, 2010

It’s been a challenge, but I’ve completed the planking on the Launch, more or less successfully. The Model Shipways kit of Bounty’s Launch, being a very modern product, was developed with CAD/CAM technology. One of the benefits of this is that the planks could be pre-cut to fairly accurate shapes. See, here’s the thing about […]

Faired and framed.

| March 17, 2010

After a brief interruption in the project due to the need to install my new home theater system (woohoo) it was back to work on the Launch. We left off with the molds securely attached to the false keel. Before going any further, the molds have to be faired, that is, their outer edges need […]

And away we go….

| March 6, 2010

Going by the manual, the building process for the Launch is broken down into six major stages. The first stage consists of assembly of the keel/stem/sternpost, and construction of the framing jig. The first thing one does, though, is to ensure that everything that is supposed to be included in a kit is, in fact, […]

Launch

| March 4, 2010

I mentioned I’d be working next on the HMS* Bounty’s Launch. It looks like this project won’t take anywhere near as long as I took building the Black Prince; the skills I develop during this build are going to be different, but useful. A bit of background, from the kit manufacturer’s website: As captain** of […]

*/ -->